A Non-negotiable Way Forward for Supporting Students with Special Education Needs in Virtual Learning Spaces: The Team Approach
9:15 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Dr. Rohan Jowallah
Senior Instructional Designer | University of Central Florida
The landscape of education has changed drastically within the past two years. This drastic change will require a transformation in teaching and learning practice in relation to learning spaces. There must be sound pedagogical pathways for supporting students with special educational needs.
According to UNICEF (2020), students with special educational needs were severely affected by the pandemic. Compounding this issue was the lack of assistive technologies. Consequently, governments must ensure that no student with special needs is left behind. In finding a pathway forward, there should be neither compromise nor negotiation. This keynote session will:
• evaluate global trends in supporting students with special needs in virtual learning spaces.
• articulate the need for a team approach when supporting students with special accommodations (special needs) in virtual learning spaces.
• highlight strategies that will foster the development of inclusive virtual learning spaces.
• articulate the need for proactive support for removing potential barriers for students needing special accommodations in virtual learning spaces.
• evaluate upcoming technological advances that will foster greater inclusivity in virtual learning spaces.